December 6 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Presenter: Dr. Mike Messerole, Asst. Director, School of Health and Kinesiology
Part 1: Disability Awareness Activities & Discussion
– These activities allow teachers to experience some of the challenges their students with differing abilities may be facing. They put the teachers in the roll of the student. After experiencing a variety of disabilities, we will reflect on how the teachers felt and suggestions for accommodating the various challenges.
Part 2: Unified Fitness Activities and Discussion
– Teachers will experience a series of exercises and a variety of modifications to each exercise. Appropriate progressions and teaching cues will be presented as well.
Part 3: Game/Activity Modifications and Discussion
– Teachers will learn 5 ways to modify any game/activity to meet the needs of every student. In addition new games/activities will be taught.
At the conclusion of the workshop, the participants will be able to:
• Explain 6 concepts to keep in mind when working with individuals with disabilities.
• Understand the challenges facing some of their students with varying abilities.
• Incorporate several modifications to exercises that will allow all students to participate at their ability level.
• Implement a variety of modifications to activities/games so all students can experience success yet still be challenged.
• Discuss the Unified Physical Education concept and how it could be incorporated into the physical education program.