- This event has passed.
What Do I Do, If They Don’t? Behavior Strategies
June 17, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Matt McNiff, PhD. – Dr. Matt McNiff is a special education director and behavior consultant with the Educational Service Unit No. 5 in Beatrice, Nebraska where he works with school districts to help teachers and administrators develop ways to help students with behavior concerns. With almost 25 years of experience in the field, Dr. McNiff has worked with thousands of students with behavioral challenges and grades ranging from early childhood to high school and transitional programming. He attained his Ph.D. in special education from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, specializing in behavior disorders and autism.
Dr. McNiff is a nationally recognized speaker in the field of behavior management and specializes in helping school staff to develop programs that will reduce problematic behaviors and increase academic time. His presentations are known for being positive, humorous, and engaging and are full of easy to use strategies and examples that can be used quickly with even the toughest to reach children
Working in any field with children can be challenging work. When that environment also includes defiant and oppositional students, the challenge can seem overwhelming. What are some strategies that you can use when they don’t want to do what you ask them? What do you do when the children refuse? This workshop will address a number of topics on how to effectively manage resistant behavior in children from preschool to high school. Teachers will leave with ready to use strategies that they can implement the very next day. Topics will include:
* Perspectives on behavior and how we can view them differently
* Why do people defy directions?
* How to improve your engagement in the classroom to reduce behaviors?
* Many strategies on how to decrease resistance in your program
* Included strategies: overcorrection, group-wide and individual strategies, quick environmental changes to reduce behaviors, inconvenience, reinforcement, Hero Procedure, relationship building, using resistance to your advantage and many more.
Who Should Attend?
K-12 Regular Education Teachers, Special Education Teachers, Administrators, Instructional Coaches, and Para-Educators.